New knowledge gained from this segment are as follows:
- controlled vocabularies used by indexer to assign standard words and terms when describing the subject.
- 2 examples of controlled indexing are thesauri and subject heading lists.
- Thesauri and Subject Heading lists help us to always use the same term as used by indexer. most well known subject heading is the LCSH.ACTIVITY- Locate ATT (online) and assign terms from this thesaurus to:
1)a book about architecture of castles.
2)a journal article about sculptures of indigenous Australian animals
- Found ATT(online) at
- Was not familiar with the thesaurus but found the “How to use ATT online” extremely useful.
(1)a book about architecture of castles.
- Decided to use the key word ‘castles’ and not include architecture since we are using Art and Architecture thesaurus. The term ‘fortifications’ surfaced.
1. castles (fortifications)
(fortifications, <single built works by function>, … Built Environment (Hierarchy Name)) 
- 2) a journal article about sculptures of indigenous Australian animals
- Used “sculpture” as the keyword. Because journal article is about sculptures of indigenous Australian animals, i decided to select <oceanic sculpture styles. being the closest term in the ATT thesaurus.
- Hierarchical Position:
Styles and Periods Facet
- …. Styles and Periods (G)
…….. <styles and periods by region> (G)
………… Oceanic (G)
……………. <Oceanic sculpture styles> (G)