(a) My definition of social networking
In the digital context, social networking is defined as the process of interaction among a community of like minded digital users who share common interests, beliefs, attitudes and activities, through the use of social networking sites such as FaceBook and MySpace.
(b) The types of social networking technologies and sites that I already use are:
- Weblogs-Wordpress (Social network)
- Wikis-Wikispaces (Social network)
- Facebook (Social network)
- Flickr (social media-photo sharing)
- YouTube (social media-video sharing)
- Diigo (book marking)
- Delicious (book marking)
- LinkedIn (social network)
(c) What I would expect to learn from INF 506
Through the INF 506 module, I hope
- to understand, develop knowledge and skills in the use of various social sites (social networking and social media sites) and technologies to support the information and learning needs of the staff and students of the school I am currently teaching in.
- to understand, learn and apply social networking tools and technologies especially in the school library context.
- to understand more about Library 2.0 concepts and to learn ways to transform the library into conducive physical and virtual space that will attract student users to visit, collaborate and become both consumers and creators of information and knowledge.
- to understand the social, cultural, economic, educational, ethical implications of issues associated with the use of social networking technologies.
- to learn how information policy is developed and implemented in order that social networking technologies can be used and harnessed ethically, effectively and efficiently.